CLAY CROSS is an ecclesiastical parish formed in Derbyshire 1850 from the civil parish of North Wingfield, and is 5 miles south from Chesterfield and 139 miles from London, in the sub-division of Alfreton petty sessional division, Chesterfield union and county court district, rural deanery of Chesterfield, archdeaconry of Derby and diocese of Southwell.
This parish comprises STRETTON, CLAY LANE, and WOODTHORPE township : a very small portion of Stretton is in Shirland parish. 3,000 hands at least are employed at the extensive Clay Cross Colliery and Ironworks, which has two furnaces in blast. The north Midland railway passes through the midst of the works, by means of a tunnel 1 mile 140 yards in length, and has a station here. The township is governed by a local board of nine members, and is well lighted with gas. The church of St Bartholomew, designed by Mr Stevens, of Derby, and built in 1851, is of stone, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave, isles south porch and western tower with spire containing 6 bells : vestries were subsequently added and the chancel altered by the vicar, at a cost of £700, under the direction of the late G.E. Street R.A. : there are three stained windows, one of which was erected in 1880, to the memory of Mr. H How, engineer : and one in 1878 to the memory of Mrs. C Binns : there are 500 sittings, all free. The register dates from the year 1851. The living is a vicarage, tithe rent charged £51, gross yearly value £300, including 3 acres of glebe, with residence and 3.1\2 acres glebe, in the gift of rector of north Wingfield and held since 1851 by the Rev. Joseph Oldham B.D. Of St Johns Collage Cambridge. The church St. Barnabas situated at Danesmoor, was erected by public subscription in 1883, as a chaple of ease to the Parish church ; it is served by the parish clergy: there are 220 sittings , all being free. There is a school church at Handley, erected in 1870 by subscriptions. Here is a catholic chapel ; also places of worship for Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist Free Church Methodist New Connexion, Baptist at Clay Cross ; Methodist New Connexion and Primitive Methodists at Danes Moor, and Methodist New Connexion at Handley. There is a cemetery of about 4 acres, with two mortuary chapels, the site being a gift from W. G. Turbutt esq. Of Ogstone hall; it under supervision of a burial board of nine members. There is an Institute and Public hall provided with an excellent library and a good supply of papers and periodicals. The principal landowners are W.G Turbutt esq T. Of ogstone Hall, Joseph H. Dixon esq. And the Clay Cross company. The Clay Cross and District Ploughing Association holds matches. Annually, in October. The soil and subsoil are clay and loam; chief crops, wheat and oats, with some land in pasture. The area of the parish is 3,926 acres ; and the township of Clay Lane 1,313 ; rateable value, £12,219; the population in 1881 of the township was 6,347 : of the parish, 7,794, and local board district, 6,879.
STRETTON township is in Alfreton county court district and includes Handley, South Hill, Timberfield and Woolley Moor, and has a population of 630 ; the area is 1,574 ; rateable value, £4,129. Here is a station on the Midland rail-way. Here is a cemetery of half an acre, with tow mortuary chapels ; under the control of burial board of six members.
WOODTHORPE township has a population of 817 ; the area is 1,055 acres; rateable value, £5,271.
Parish Sexton, George Marshall. Post, MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE, Savings Bank & Annuity & Insurance Office.- Miss Edge, post-mistress. Letters received from Chesterfield at 6.45 a,m. & 4.20 p,m. ; dispatched at 10.40 a.m. & 6,25 & 8 p,m. WALL LETTER BOX at Clay Lane cleared at 5,30 pm, ; & egstow green cleared at 5.40 p.m. Letters for Sretton & Woolley Moor via Alfreton, & for handley & Timberfield & North Wingfield, via Clay Cross, 9.5 p.m. No mail in or out on Sundays; office open from8 to 10 for telegraphs only.
Post, Money ORDER OFFICE & Saving Bank at Danes-moor.- George radford, sub-postmaster. Letters received from Clay Cross at 7,30 a.m ; dispatched at 5.45 p.m
The following has been taken from a book (The Kellys Directory Of Derbyshire 1888)
Kindly loaned to me by David Lowe Holmgate